It can be exciting to move into a new house. But, like most things in life, it's also going to be a bit of a hassle. One thing you don't want to forget is to set up your utilities. Here's a home moving checklist of things you need to ensure you're all set up with energy and NBN at your new home.
- Contact your current energy provider and let them know you're moving. They'll be able to give you an idea of when you need to cancel your service and whether there are any final charges or refunds owed.
- Research your options for energy providers at your new address. You may be able to get a better deal by shopping around.
- Make sure you understand the different pricing structures on offer from different providers. Some charge more for usage during peak times, while others have time-of-use metering, which can save you money if you're flexible with using energy.
- Once you've decided on an energy provider, contact them to set up your account.
- You'll need to give them your new address and other personal details. They may also require a deposit, depending on your situation.
- Make sure you cancel your old energy account once you've moved and set up the new one. This will avoid being charged for the energy you're not using.
- Contact your internet service provider and let them know you're moving home. They'll assist you in making your decision to cancel or transfer your service to the new address and whether there are any final charges.
- Research your options for internet service providers at your new address. You may be able to get a better deal by shopping around. When researching your options for internet service providers, it's essential to compare the rates and services they offer. Things you'll want to consider include the following:
- The cost of the internet plan
- The contract length
- The length of notice you need to give before cancelling
- Any special features or discounts that are offered
- The company's customer service record
Once you've decided on an internet service provider, contact them to set up your account. You'll need to give them your new address and other personal details. They may also require a deposit, depending on your situation.
- You will also need to take care of all those pesky administrative tasks. Make sure you update your address with all relevant organisations, such as banks, insurance companies, and utility providers. You'll also need to notify the electoral commission to continue voting where you currently live.
- Then there are the practical matters to attend to. Pack up all your belongings and label them clearly so they're easy to unpack once you get to your new home. If hiring a removalist, make sure you book well in advance - they tend to get very busy during peak moving periods.
Moving house can be stressful, but following the above home moving checklist will help ensure that you're all set up with energy and NBN at your new home. Just remember to take care of the administrative tasks, pack up all your belongings and label them clearly, and you'll settle into your new place in no time.
Comparable is an online platform that makes it easy to find the best removalists, energy providers, financing options and NBN plans according to your needs. We work with many retailers but strongly believe in getting you, our client, the best deal because we wouldn't exist without you! If you require any of our services, please get in touch with us at 1300 754 155.